Re: [Rfc-markdown] [xml2rfc] New xml2rfc release: v2.25.0

Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> Thu, 29 August 2019 20:49 UTC

To: Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com>, xml2rfc-dev@ietf.org, xml2rfc@ietf.org
Cc: rfc-markdown@ietf.org
From: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 16:49:03 -0400
Subject: Re: [Rfc-markdown] [xml2rfc] New xml2rfc release: v2.25.0

On 8/29/19 4:24 PM, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> On 2019-08-29 21:22, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>
>> On 8/26/19 8:44 AM, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This is an automatic notification about a new xml2rfc release,
>>> v2.25.0, generated when running the mkrelease script.
>> Notes on my experience with the upgrade:
>>
>> I get the standard warning:
>>
>> DEPRECATION: Python 2.7 will reach the end of its life on January 1st,
>> 2020. Please upgrade your Python as Python 2.7 won't be maintained after
>> that date. A future version of pip will drop support for Python 2.7.
>>
>> I have both Python2 and 3 installed on my Fedora 30 system.
> This warning indicates either that the default python is still 2.7, or
> that the pip command you are running is symlinked to pip-2.7.
>
>> What is causing this message?  An old version of pip or xml2rfc?
> Pip.  The pip that comes with Python 2.7 gives the warning above.
>
> Irrespective of which pip and python you use (2.7, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7),
> the installed version of xml2rfc now supports vocabulary v3.

I just asked on the Fedora list.  I am suppose to be running pip3, not
just pip.  There is also a  pip2, but don't use it as it is the same as pip.

The default version is still 2.7:

$ python --version
Python 2.7.16

But Python3 is installed.  I am going to have to dig more.  Just for my
own 'sanity'.  Ha!

>> Is there a way to install xml2rfc v3 to start checking it out without
>> loosing v2?
> xml2rfc v2 and v3 are supported by the same install.  In order to produce
> v3 output, use 'xml2rfc --v3 ...'.

I tried this with both drafts that are 'ready' and both gave me the warning:

draft-moskowitz-hip-hierarchical-hit-00.xml(14): Warning: Setting
consensus="true" for IETF STD document (this is not the schema default,
but is the only value permitted for this type of document)

I need to find where 'consensus' is explained.

> In order to convert your v2 xml files
> to v3 xml, use 'xml2rfc --v2v3 ...'.

 From what you say below, this is something I should do.  I also foresee
a possible challenge in that I do a lot of copy and paste from old
drafts to new, and I could end up dragging something into converted
draft that is not for v3 from an unconverted old file.

Actually I have a number of drafts in various stages.  Ugh.