Re: [Rfc-markdown] [xml2rfc-dev] New xml2rfc release: v3.0.0

Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com> Thu, 03 September 2020 18:25 UTC

To: xml2rfc-dev@ietf.org, xml2rfc@ietf.org
Cc: rfc-markdown@ietf.org
From: Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2020 20:25:43 +0200
Subject: Re: [Rfc-markdown] [xml2rfc-dev] New xml2rfc release: v3.0.0

Hi,

I've had a few questions related to installation of this release, so I
might as well add some notes about installation.  The the following
approach should work.  You may need to adapt slightly to fit your
environment:

 1. If you don't have Python 3.5 or higher, install it.  You can get it
    here: https://www.python.org/downloads/ .  I'll assume python 3.8 in
    the following.  (If this fails, you should not go on with the remaining
    steps -- you're stuck with the previous version of xml2rfc until you
    can get a Python 3 running.)

 2. If you have xml2rfc installed for Python 2.7 currently:
    Run 'pip2.7 uninstall -y xml2rfc' # repeat until no version installed
    (Possibly you might need to do 'sudo pip2.7 uninstall -y xml2rfc' or
    the equivalent)

 3. Install for your python 3.  Pip3.x should not need to run as sudo or
    equivalent on most OSes:
    Run 'pip3.8 install --upgrade xml2rfc'

 4. If you have id2xml installed, make sure it's installed for the same
    python version as xml2rfc; for instance if you're moving from 2.7 to 3.8:
    'pip2.7 uninstall -y id2xml'  (or 'sudo pip2.7 uninstall -y id2xml')
    followed by 'pip3.8 install id2xml'

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,

	Henrik