Re: [Rfced-future] Consensus check: Issue 22 – new stream for RFC Editor

Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org> Wed, 23 June 2021 09:05 UTC

From: Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2021 21:04:52 +1200
Cc: rfced-future@iab.org
To: Martin Thomson <mt@lowentropy.net>
Subject: Re: [Rfced-future] Consensus check: Issue 22 – new stream for RFC Editor

> On 23/06/2021, at 8:57 PM, Martin Thomson <mt@lowentropy.net> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Jun 23, 2021, at 18:49, Jay Daley wrote:
>> But what does that mean in practice given that all the decisions about
>> this stream are made by the RSWG? If I may introduce a useful English
>> expression into IETF discourse, it’s as much use to the RSEA as a
>> chocolate teapot.
>
> The RSWG decides for all streams. So it is already special.
>
> The IESG might have greater editorial control over the content of their stream, but not a great deal more. The job of a stream manager is to represent the interests of the stream, and it seems like the RSA/E is well positioned to do that for an editorial stream.

If that was the sole role of a stream manager then the RSEA would be a feasible choice, but there’s much more to the role. For example, recent decisions by stream managers include how errata should be processed and whether or not to adopt the terminology decision of the IETF stream. Those are squarely RSWG decisions.

Jay

(sent from my phone)

--
Jay Daley