RE: [Rfid] Control Plane Architectural Elements

Margaret Wasserman <margaret@thingmagic.com> Sat, 23 July 2005 13:33 UTC

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 09:33:31 -0400
To: "P. Krishna" <pkrishna@revasystems.com>
From: Margaret Wasserman <margaret@thingmagic.com>
Subject: RE: [Rfid] Control Plane Architectural Elements
Cc: rfid@ietf.org
Sender: rfid-bounces@lists.ietf.org

Hi Krishna,

Yes, I saw your response earlier.  Thanks for reminding me about it.

Your response addressed the question of whether the reader can be set
to run autonomously without continuous commands sent from the
controller to the reader.  I didn't remember that SLRRP included this
functionality, so it may be time for me to re-read the SLRRP document.

I do think that we should define how/if a reader is expected to
continue this autonomous operation across a reboot (there are
tradeoffs on both sides), but that is a detail, perhaps.

There are three other parts of the operational mode that I am
discussing that I do not think are captured in SLRRP:

(1) I do not believe that the control and data connections should be
conflated the way that they are in SLRRP.  Even if we decide that a
reader can only be controlled by a single controller, it should be
possible for a reader to send tag data to more than one consumer and
to maintain different filters and different event lists for different
consumers. In addition to improving the scaling properties of the
system, this would reduce the brittleness of the system (caused by
the dependence on a single controller being up at all times).

(2) It should not be necessary for a reader to maintain connectivity
to the consumer(s) in order for the consumer(s) to see all of the
applicable tag reads and events.  If connectivity is lost, I believe
that readers should cache tag reads and events until the connectivity
can be reestablished (or until the cache wraps, of course).

(3) I'd also like to see the reader support multiple paradigms for
how tag reads and events are sent to consumers, including (at least):
the reader and consumer maintain a constant connection over which tag
reads and events are transmitted as they occur, the consumer polls
the reader periodically for tag reads and events, and the reader
actively notifies the consumer when tag reads or events of interest
occur (sensor tripped, first tag detected, timeout expired, etc.).
After such a notification, the consumer could poll for tag reads,
establish a connection to receive tag reads, or do whatever made
sense.

In fact, it might even make sense to break the data and events out
into separate sub-systems and maintain separate concepts of tag data
consumers and event consumers.

Margaret

At 8:47 AM -0400 7/23/05, P. Krishna wrote:

> but I think that this same type of
>  autonomous operation would also be valuable for basic readers that
>  only implement the lower-level reader control protocol (the RP level
>  in the EPC Global architecture).

>  Margaret

Pls see ...

<http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rfid/current/msg00197.html>http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rfid/current/msg00197.html

This msg was sent couple of days ago and addresses the same concern
raised in this email.

/Krishna