Re: [Rfid] Control Plane Architectural Elements

Scott Barvick <sbarvick@revasystems.com> Fri, 22 July 2005 20:32 UTC

Subject: Re: [Rfid] Control Plane Architectural Elements
From: Scott Barvick <sbarvick@revasystems.com>
To: Margaret Wasserman <margaret@thingmagic.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:32:15 -0400
Cc: rfid@ietf.org
Sender: rfid-bounces@lists.ietf.org

Margaret,

Before we start down this path, I think we need to step back and note
that we have been working with Bert and the folks at EPCGlobal to make
sure that outputs from this group are compatible with the interacting
layers of the EPCGlobal Architecture Framework Version 1.0 which can be
found at:
http://www.epcglobalinc.org/standards_technology/specifications.html

The original charter proposal from the SLRRP BoF is quite consistent
with the definition of the Reader Protocol (Interface) in Section 9.1.5
of the Architecture Framework.  In fact, you'll find concepts from the
original SLRRP draft used directly in specifying this interface, and
SLRRP appropriately referenced in the References section.

I am concerned that starting to work on a general reader architecture
would lead us into conflict with the architecture work that is done and
published by EPCGlobal.  I believe that many of your concerns
(autonomous operation, XML interface) are satisfied by the Filtering and
Collection (Interface), also known as Application Level Events or ALE,
in the EPCGlobal Architecture, and we have never wanted to duplicate
this effort with this proposed working group.  As you know, ALE is an
interface that higher end readers will choose to run, but EPCGlobal also
recognizes that there is a need for an interface to readers that is at a
lower level in the architecture.

Therefore, I think we need to stay more true to the CAIRO proposed
charter until the group and/or Bert/IESG decides to change it to take it
in a different direction.  We have made a lot of progress with the spec
and resulting implementations on the reader, RNC, and tools ends of
things based on the current charter proposal, and I strongly recommend
we stay focused.

Thanks,
Scott