RE: [Rfid] XML vs. Text vs. Binary

"Howard Kapustein" <hkapustein@manh.com> Fri, 22 July 2005 14:13 UTC

Subject: RE: [Rfid] XML vs. Text vs. Binary
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:12:54 -0400
From: Howard Kapustein <hkapustein@manh.com>
To: Marshall Rose <mrose+internet.ietf.rfid@dbc.mtview.ca.us>, Margaret Wasserman <margaret@thingmagic.com>
Cc: rfid@ietf.org
Sender: rfid-bounces@lists.ietf.org

>it's certainly better than binary if you're going to type-in commands
>via telnet or ssh. the moment you have to start matching elements,
>and are typing more than a few of them, you need to have a tool do
>the typing.

a) Who said "text" means "xml" ?
XML is an option, but in a 3-way fight 'binary' goes down early in the
fight, and the real question is if XML or non-xml-text format should be
the basis for the syntax.

Syntax.
That's all XML buys you 'for free'.
[Well, that plus a lotta tools, but also some drawbacks]

The magic XML wand doesn't inherently solve Vocabulary nor Semantics.
Just syntax.

Ditto for Text.

And points made by both Marshall + Margaret, IMO, also emphasize the
need for a good non-XML textual format.

Check out HTTP.
Now SOAP and XML-RPC.
Now go sniff a wire for DCOM, or IIOP, or NDR.
Hey, go play with some ASN.1.

Text vs. XML vs. Binary.

XML's nice in some ways, but less desirable than text for human reasons.
[And tools; there are many XML tools, but even more 'structured text
handling' options]

And both are far superior to Binary.

IMNSHO, of course :-)

	- Howard