[rgchairs] Re: 65th IETF - WG/RG/BOF Scheduling

Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com> Sat, 28 January 2006 18:57 UTC

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 08:52:51 -0800
From: Andy Bierman <ietf@andybierman.com>
To: Allison Mankin <mankin@psg.com>
Cc: wgchairs@ietf.org, rgchairs@irtf.org, bofchairs@ietf.org, Henrik Levkowetz <henrik@levkowetz.com>
Subject: [rgchairs] Re: 65th IETF - WG/RG/BOF Scheduling
Sender: rgchairs-bounces@lists.ietf.org

Allison Mankin wrote:

>Hi, Henrik,
>
>I've taken agenda@ietf.org off the cc list so we don't keep generating
>tickets for them while we discuss the tool design.  Or should we move
>to tools-discuss?  I think this mail will get to the tool developer.
>

>>Also, I have lists of conflicts from previous years, which I use as a
>>base for the request this time.  I'd love to be able to just type
>>in the list, but the tool forces me to use the drop-down list.  A bit
>>awkward.
>>

>The purpose of this tool (I understand) is so that simple initial machine
>processing can be done on the WG chairs' scheduling inputs, before the
>human brain (the brilliant Marcia!) NP-complete effort of making the
>actual schedule.

I think people are over-reacting.  The rendering of the "list-in-progress"
appears to be a text input box, but it is not.  I agree this is confusing.
It took me all of 10 seconds to figure out how to add multiple entries
per line.
I think it's wonderful that this tools work is going on.  Some of us
have been
asking for some automation in the process for years.

>Having seen a lot of the Chairs' unstructured requests, I know they are
>very varied, even to the form of the lists for conflict avoidance:
>misspellings, shorter names than the real short names, SIP/PING
>instead of both names, descriptive terms.  It's understandable
>but hard to use.

I pointed this out about 4 years ago by sending my rmonmib slot request
in XML.
It was sent back of course and I was scolded for it, but I was serious.
The goal isn't to solve the NP-complete scheduling problem, just to
solve the data input problem.

>What I'm wondering is whether at IETF 65, the session will come
>up pre-configured with the previous conflict list, and allow the chairs
>to edit that...
>

>>The tool forces me to skip that and list first-priority conflicts
>>before I may list second-priority conflicts.  Is that necessary?
>>

>I agree, you should not have to do this.   Something for the fix list, IMO.
>
>Allison

Andy