[rgchairs] Re: 63rd IETF Agenda - DRAFT

Thierry Ernst <ernst@sfc.wide.ad.jp> Wed, 13 July 2005 02:01 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:49:53 +0900
From: Thierry Ernst <ernst@sfc.wide.ad.jp>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com>
Cc: wgchairs@ietf.org, rgchairs@irtf.org, agenda@ietf.org, bofchairs@ietf.org
Subject: [rgchairs] Re: 63rd IETF Agenda - DRAFT
Sender: rgchairs-bounces@lists.ietf.org

Hi,

> Thierry, note that the agenda address is agenda@ietf.org
Ah, yes, sorry about that, and thanks for pointing out.

> It's also not new that the IETF continues until Friday
> lunchtime - I'm really surprised that people plan to leave
> earlier. I'm sure that our scheduler will do what she can, but
> the Friday slots have to be used.

Yes, I know about that, and I'm always arranging my flight
accordingly and change it to an earlier date if there is nothing
important to attend.

But I'm not responsive for the other people own flight arrangments,
although for this particular case I have to bear the situation of not
having the right people at hand for the success of this BOF. As the
initiator and chair, I need to ensure the success.

It's notorious that people try to arrange their flight in advance in
order to get cheaper prices, so if we really want people to organize
their trip in a way they consider staying on Friday, we:
1. must issue a draft agenda earlier (I would say 1 month in advance at
the very least
2. in case of agenda changes, no slot should be move to the extremity of
the week
3. people should get used to stay on Friday

The problem for 3 is that some WGs have to play the role of guinea-pig
and this is not acceptable. So, 1 and 2 may be the 1st category's
requirement. May be one eaay way is for some WGs to volunteer for a
Friday BOF ahead of time, with the information spread on the relevant
mailing lists.

A side note, I think it's a bad idea to schedule a BOF on Friday because
many people are not aware of the content of a BOF before they attend;
also BOF need to span a larger audience.

Thierry