[rgchairs] RE: 63rd IETF Agenda - DRAFT

john.loughney@nokia.com Wed, 13 July 2005 05:22 UTC

From: john.loughney@nokia.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 06:22:46 +0300
To: <ernst@sfc.wide.ad.jp>, <brc@zurich.ibm.com>
Cc: wgchairs@ietf.org, rgchairs@irtf.org, bofchairs@ietf.org
Subject: [rgchairs] RE: 63rd IETF Agenda - DRAFT
Sender: rgchairs-bounces@lists.ietf.org

Thierry,

Not to pick on you specificially, but I am always dismayed folks not
planning to attend on Friday.  Even more so when we are talking about
bofs.  The trend of cutting back on Friday scheduling seems to be over
and we are even scheduling some meetings on Friday afternoon. There's
no reason to assume that nothing will happen on Friday.

Scheduling is already tight and shuffling things around because people
didn't plan to stay until Friday seems like a weak excuse - if they
haven't planned to be here when the bof is scheduled, you can always
postpone the bof for the next IETF.

Much more problematic, for me, is having Working Groups that overlap
where I need to be at both, or key contributors have drafts to discuss
at overlapping meetings.  This is existing, chartered work that often
needs face-to-face time in order to progress tough issues.  If key
contributors have to be in two places at once, the results of the face-
to-face time can often be reduced.

I agree with Thierry that the draft Agenda should be published much
earlier - I am happy to set forward the agenda request date so the
Agenda folks have more time to play with.  Additionally, I'd
like to have stricter guidelines so the last minute adjustments
to the Agenda are made only for 'good' reasons - and we should define
those reasons upfront.

thanks,
John