Re: [rgchairs] Re: 63rd IETF Agenda - DRAFT

Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net> Thu, 14 July 2005 13:42 UTC

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:59:24 +0300
From: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
To: Andrew Newton <andy@hxr.us>
Subject: Re: [rgchairs] Re: 63rd IETF Agenda - DRAFT
Cc: wgchairs@ietf.org, rgchairs@irtf.org, bofchairs@ietf.org
Sender: rgchairs-bounces@lists.ietf.org

>>> And when meetings are held in places like Paris, some people are
>>> under considerable pressure not to give the appearance of a
>>> boondoggle.

The selection of a proper meeting site is a delicate decision.
Some of the main requirements for organizing a meeting
include:

 o  Conveniently located site, within a short drive from both US west
     and east coasts, Europe, and most of Asia, with reserved
     parking near the registration desk for everyone.

 o  Proper balance between services for work related
     purposes and recreational possibilities.  The key problem
     here is getting your manager to approve a trip to the IETF.
     For this to happen, the manager needs to have a vision of
     everyone working very hard and not even peeking outside.
     This is not likely if the destination is, say, Hawaiji.  On the
     other hand, the participants are not immune to enjoying
     good weather, food, or scenery.

     In order to solve this, the secretariat is negotiating with the
     city of Paris, France about changing the name of one of their
     suburbs to "Minneapolis" and holding our meetings there
     on a regular basis.  This would be a win-win change for
     everyone: travel gets approved, the participants concentrate
     only on work in any case, but they get to do it in a warm
     place and eat well.

 o  No meetings will be held during any religious holiday or during
     national holidays, all religions and nations considered.  (As a
     result, the next seven meetings all need to be held on January
     6th, 2006, as no other dates are available.)

 o  The meeting fees can raise the bar for participants without the
     backing of a major corporation.  On the other hand, the fees
     generate income necessary for the IETF to operate.  One option
     that has been considered for this problem is to create a new
     meeting fee category for Tourists.  The fee would be the same as
     for other participants, but it would not entitle for actual
     entrance to the meeting, reducing congestion in the meeting rooms.
     Initial marketing research among Tourists indicates that this new
     category would be attractive, as long as their managers would
     still approve their trip to "Minneapolis".

     Another experiment that has been planned is the creation of an
     "accommodation included" meeting fee option.  This would allow
     low-budget travel for our academic participants, with the
     accommodation arranged in the meeting rooms.  The only remaining
     problem is determining how to wake these participants up before
     the meeting starts, so that they go from their "night" sleep to
     "not an interesting draft" nap.