Re: [rmcat] WG last call: draft-ietf-rmcat-eval-criteria-07.txt

Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> Sun, 04 November 2018 05:59 UTC

From: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 12:58:54 +0700
Cc: draft-ietf-rmcat-eval-criteria@ietf.org, "rmcat@ietf.org WG" <rmcat@ietf.org>
To: Jörg Ott <jo@netlab.tkk.fi>
Subject: Re: [rmcat] WG last call: draft-ietf-rmcat-eval-criteria-07.txt

Hi Jörg,

Thanks – some replies inline.
Colin

> On 3 Nov 2018, at 00:01, Joerg Ott <jo@netlab.tkk.fi> wrote:
>
> Hi Colin,
>
> thanks much for the comments.  Finally, a first (not yet complete) stab
> at this:
>
>>  * Section 3 begins “Each experiment is expected to…” but the draft
>>    hasn’t yet introduced the idea that there are some experiments that
>>    need to be completed.
>
> Added a some context intro.
>
>>  * Rather than talk about “RMCAT proposals”, “RMCAT flows”, etc.,
>>    discuss “proposed RTP congestion control algorithms”, “congestion
>>    controlled RTP flows”, and so on. The RFC will live longer than the
>>    RMCAT working group.
>
> Fixed throughout the draft.
>
>>  * Section 3: bullet 10 should be rephrased for clarity.
>
> Bullet 10 is the editor’s note?

Right – it looks like a to-do note, so needs to be rephrased as something that reads like a complete point, or removed.

>>  * Does Section 3.1 need to describe the precise format, or just
>>    the information to be logged? Does it matter that the file is CSV
>>    format?
>
> I'd say it simplifies running comparisons in the end and avoids parsing
> errors, but I don't feel strongly here.  Any format would do.

Maybe just add that as explanation?

>>  * Section 4.1: The introductory text only talks about high latency
>>    links, then gives examples covering a range of latencies. Expands
>>    remarks “, as well as low-latency links”
>
> Done.
>
>>  * Section 4.2: might be appropriate to add some motivating remarks.
>
> Done.
>
>>  * Section 4.3: add some remarks to motivate drop-tail?
>
> This begs a broader discussion now that some time has passed since the
> initial version of this draft.  Should we include AQM models (such as
> CoDel or variants thereof) as well?

The eval-test draft mentions CoDel and PIE as things you’re encouraged to test with, but doesn’t look to focus on them. I’d say that’s likely the right way to approach this: encourage, but not require, experimentation with AQM.

>>  * Section 4.5.3: clarify if this recommended distribution applies to
>>    both sections 4.5.1 and 4.5.2.
>
> Only 4.5.2 is mandatory.  The same distribution could be applied to
> both jitter models.  Not sure how much we need to say explicitly.

I was envisaging “Whether Random Bounded PDV or Approximately Random Subject to No-Reordering Bounded PDV, it is recommended that z(n) is…”

>>  * Section 6.1: first paragraph ends mid-sentence.
>
> Done.
>
> An interesting question is if DASH-style flows should be considered, too.

Testing against DASH-style traffic is certainly worthwhile. Is it included in eval-test too? Should it be?

> Should we specify TCP congestion control?  E.g., CUBIC?

It’s widely deployed, so seems like a reasonable default. Ideally, we’d encourage testing against a range of congestion control algorithms.

>>  * Section 6.3: is it worth mentioning that QUIC flows use UDP, but
>>    are expected to have dynamics that look a lot like TCP, so don’t
>>    need to be explicitly included here?
>
> Added a note here.  Should we anticipate future divergence from TCP
> behavior?

As in future versions of QUIC might do something different, and if they do it’s important to test against them? Sure, doesn’t hurt to add a note.

>>  * Section 7: security needs to be discussed. Maybe point out
>>    denial-of-service issues due to lack of congestion control, or
>>    denial-of-service on the congestion controlled flow due to spoofing
>>    of control signals, and state that the candidate algorithms should
>>    consider. The only specific security issue I can think of the these
>>    criteria is checking that the algorithm works as expected in these
>>    cases.
>
> This remains tbd.  Maybe we can have a quick chat next week.

Ok.

--
Colin Perkins
https://csperkins.org/