Re: [rmcat] I-D Action: draft-ietf-rmcat-coupled-cc-05.txt

Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> Wed, 22 March 2017 23:33 UTC

From: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 23:33:18 +0000
Cc: "rmcat WG (rmcat@ietf.org)" <rmcat@ietf.org>
To: draft-ietf-rmcat-coupled-cc@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rmcat] I-D Action: draft-ietf-rmcat-coupled-cc-05.txt

Authors,

I’ve reviewed this draft while preparing the IESG write-up and request for publication. I have a number of minor questions and comments:

- Section 2 defines a Flow and gives an example as “an RTP session, or a sub-session that is multiplexed onto a single RTP session”. I believe this example is incorrect, and what is intended is “an RTP Stream [RFC7656], or a group of RTP Streams multiplexed onto a single RTP session” (Section 2.1.10 of RFC 7656 defines the term RTP Stream carefully, so I think a reference is useful; it also defines the term RTP Session in Section 2.2.2). Can you please check and update are necessary.

- Section 3 discusses limitations of the proposed algorithms. Would it be appropriate to add a brief applicability statement either here, or in the Introduction, stating that the described mechanisms are believed safe to use, but are experimental and are presented for wider review and operational evaluation?

- Section 5.1, bullet 1, notes that flows share a bottleneck if they’re sent on the same 5-tuple and have the same DSCP value. Should this also note that they need the same ECT mark? With the proposed L4S ECN experiments, we’re likely to see quite different behaviour between flows with NotECT/ECT(0) and those with ECT(1) marking.

- Section 5.2 defines the priority in the range 0.1 to 1. Assuming 0.1 is correct, it might be worth adding a brief note to explain this choice, since readers might think it a typo for the more typical range of 0 to 1.

- Section 5.2, in the paragraph following the bullet points, the draft suggests mapping priority levels from RTCWEB using the values 1, 2, 4, and 8 – how do these relate to the 0.1 to 1 range?

- Section 5.3 defines terminology and describes the two algorithms. The terminology used is inconsistent, sometimes using FSE_R and sometimes FSE_R(f). If the intent is that these are the same variable, the terminology should be aligned (I assume to FSE_R(f) since they’re per-flow values, but the important point is that it’s consistent). If there’s intended to be a difference between the overall and per-flow values, can you please check that they’re used consistently, and add a sentence to clarify the meanings of the terms.

- Section 5.3 also uses P and P(i) in a manner that suggests they’re referring to the same parameter. Similarly for CC_R – should it be CC_R(i)?

- Appendix C: similar terminology comments apply.

- Appendix C: “highly experimental” – It might be useful to add a brief applicability statement for implementors so they know whether this is safe to deploy outside of testbed environments.

Thanks,
Colin