Re: [rmcat] Roman Danyliw's Discuss on draft-ietf-rmcat-wireless-tests-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Wed, 04 March 2020 15:50 UTC

From: Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 16:50:18 +0100
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, rmcat-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-rmcat-wireless-tests@ietf.org, csp@csperkins.org, rmcat@ietf.org
To: Roman Danyliw <rdd@cert.org>
Subject: Re: [rmcat] Roman Danyliw's Discuss on draft-ietf-rmcat-wireless-tests-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Roman,

Just on your discuss point below.

> On 4. Mar 2020, at 16:16, Roman Danyliw via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> wrote:
>
> Roman Danyliw has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-rmcat-wireless-tests-09: Discuss

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rmcat-wireless-tests/

> DISCUSS:
>
> Please let me know if I've misunderstood the test execution protocol
> incorrectly:
>
> Section 6.  Per the paragraph “The evaluation of the test cases are intended to
> carry out in a controlled lab environment … It is important to take appropriate
> caution to avoid leaking non-responsive traffic from unproven congestion
> avoidance techniques onto the open Internet”, this is good guidance in general
> case.  However, in the case of this document how applicable is it?  Didn’t
> Section 3 (“We, therefore, recommend that a cellular network simulator is used
> for the test cases defined in this document …” and practically establish it
> can’t be done without simulation with the scenario of the underground mine) and
> Section 4 (“We recommend to carry out the test cases as defined in this
> document using a simulator, such as [NS-2] or [NS-3]).   If all the testing is
> supposed to be in a simulator how is it leaking out onto the internet?  As far
> as I can tell, this helpful text is common in RMCAT document, but in this case
> could it please be tailored for the proposed testing regime.
>
> Perhaps something on the order adding text on the order of “Given the
> difficulty of deterministic wireless testing, it is RECOMMENDED and expected
> that the tests described in this document would be done via simulation.
> However, <in the case of not doing it that way> <leave the existing language>”

I would say that the proposed test cases are rather independent of the method used for evaluation: this could be simulation, emulation (where you plug a part of the simulated network into a real network), or testbed-based. Yes the author recommend simulation because having a real system would be really complicated (but not impossible…) and not necessarily easily provide reproducible results. However, as you note correctly there are no issues with potentially overloading a real network when you use simulations, that's why this case is not discussed in the security considerations section.

I guess we could clarify this in the text, however, note that this is the same text we also have in draft-ietf-rmcat-eval-test which is waiting in the RFC editor queue for this document.

Mirja