Re: [rmcat] Following up on my ECN feedback question at the meeting today

"Bob Briscoe" <in@bobbriscoe.net> Thu, 17 November 2016 18:00 UTC

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 18:00:49 -0000
From: Bob Briscoe <in@bobbriscoe.net>
To: gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk, "Michael Ramalho (mramalho)" <mramalho@cisco.com>
Cc: "rmcat@ietf.org" <rmcat@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rmcat] Following up on my ECN feedback question at the meeting today

Michael, Gorry,

On Thu, November 17, 2016 3:12 pm, Gorry Fairhurst wrote:
> Sounds fine, thanks - I'll let others also get back if they wish,
> otherwise keep designing!
>
> Gorry
>

> On 17/11/2016 14:59, Michael Ramalho (mramalho) wrote:
>
>> Hi Gorry,
>>

>> Speaking for myself (and not necessarily all on the RMCAT Design Team),
>> every proposal so far has the ability to report both ECN bits for ALL
>> the packets the receiver received. Thus the sender, knowing what was
>> sent and what was received, could determine any changes in these bits.
>>
>> The proposals since the "01" draft have put the ECN information in
>> different places - to attain the goal of trivial compression. Note that
>> we have not come to closure if compression is needed (that was what
>> Colin's presentation addressed).
>>

>> In the proposal shown at the meeting - if all the ECN bits received
>> were identical, one instance of those two bits appeared in the fixed
>> body of the report (two bits stolen from where the end_seq was
>> previously) along with a flag (another bit stolen from the same field)
>> that stated that all received ECN bits were identical. If all received
>> ECN bits were not identical, then ALL of the individual ECN bits for
>> all packets received were reported elsewhere (in the "C bits" after all
>> the arrival time offset fields).
>>
>> There was discussion in one of the DT meetings that one might want
>> disable the reporting of the individual ECN bits - perhaps dynamically
>> via signaling - and I briefly mentioned that during my presentation.
>> Such discussion has not been reflected in any consensus nor in any
>> text. I think the option was discussed in the context of a low
>> bandwidth stream (but I am not certain on this point).
>>
>> However, if such an option to disable ECN reporting was desired and
>> enabled - the format in the proposal shown had two ECN bit locations
>> above as "a representative ECN". Again, this was not defined or
>> discussed - but such could be the most prevalent ECN ... or the
>> "worst-case" ECN (i.e., if there was congestion flagged in some of
>> them) ... or [who knows].
>>
>> In closing, we are not certain that we need compression. But we do know
>> how to compress loss indications and individual ECN bits efficiently
>> via run length encoding (perhaps using what is already defined in RTCP
>> XR). My vote would be to compress the ECN (rather than disabling ECN
>> reporting) if we ever decided that the reporting all ECN bits
>> individually was too burdensome.

[BB]: In any compression scheme, please try to avoid allowing the receiver
to opt out of giving an accurate count of CE received...

One of the reasons for (potentially) deciding we do not need the ECN nonce
in the IP header any more (see draft-black-tsvwg-ecn-experimentation) is
that an alternative is possible without consuming any IP header
codepoints. It has not been written up, but it would involve the sender
randomly setting CE itself once or twice, and checking that the receiver
reports these faithfully. I believe it would be sufficient for the
receiver to just report the sum of CE marks (so the sender's injected CE
marks would set a lower bound to how much marking a receiver could
suppress).

Like the ECN nonce, this is only applicable if the sender is willing to
police ECN on behalf of the network. But despite its limitations, it is
worth ensuring that a receiver cannot downgrade feedback precision
sufficiently to enable its own attack.

I believe it will be sufficient for CE feedback to always be accurate. ECT
0/1 do not need to be accurate.

Also, please ensure the feedback always gives bytes marked not just
packets marked (or allows the sender to infer bytes marked, e.g. if all
packets are the same size). Not just to aid testing for receiver cheating,
but also as motivated in RFC7141.

Until someone writes up a scheme for testing receiver ECN feedback
compliance, I'm afraid I cannot give more details. But you can find the
equivalent scheme for drop here:
draft-moncaster-tcpm-rcv-cheat-03 (Expired)

Also I suggest a read of rfc7560. Despite its title, "Problem Statement
and Requirements for Increased Accuracy in ECN Feedback", it is solely
about TCP, but still a useful checklist for rmcat.

Cheers

Bob