Re: Deleting channels...

Robin Iddon <robini@spider.co.uk> Tue, 10 December 1991 10:49 UTC

From: Robin Iddon <robini@spider.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1991 10:10:53 +0000
To: garye <garye@hpspdla.spd.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Deleting channels...
Cc: rmonmib@lexcel.com

Hi,

In a previous message Gary suggests a manager modifies the EntryStatus object
for a row from valid to underCreation.  This would allow the manager to modify
some of the other row objects and then have them take effect by re-validating
the EntryStatus object.

Whilst I sympathize with this approach I don't see that RFC1271 allows this.
Certainly the comment under the EntryStatus definition neither allows nor
disallows this.  The text of RFC1271 does not imply this is the way to do it,
however:

[From RFC1271]
5.  Control of Remote Network Monitoring Devices

   Because the parameters in the control table often describe resulting
   data in the data table, many of the parameters can be modified only
   when the control entry is invalid.  Thus, the method for modifying
   these parameters is to invalidate the control entry, causing its
   deletion and the deletion of any associated data entries, and then
   create a new control entry with the proper parameters.  Deleting the
   control entry also gives a convenient method for reclaiming the
   resources used by the associated data.
[End]

If we go this way we would need to delete any corresponding results table when
the row moves back into underCreation(3).

So I guess we have to ask Steve Waldbusser whether the RFC would need to be
changed to permit such transitions, or whether we could just go ahead and
implement them.  I feel the RFC should be changed to _require_ all agents to
support this, otherwise we have a big interop problem between managers who
like this method and agents who don't.

Robin
Robin Iddon (robini@spider.co.uk)
Spider Systems Ltd