Re: Alarms oddity ...

Robin Iddon <robini@spider.co.uk> Tue, 10 December 1991 11:56 UTC

From: Robin Iddon <robini@spider.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1991 10:55:36 +0000
To: rmonmib@lexcel.com
Subject: Re: Alarms oddity ...

Hi,

[My message deleted]

[Some of Gary's message deleted]

   The other thing that occurs to me is that the meaning of
   (risingThreshold > fallingThreshold) is fairly obvious, while the
   meaning (or subsequent behaviour) of (risingThreshold == fallingThreshold)
   in the above context, is not quite so clear.

Coming from a long line of network analyzer products (yawn ...) I always took
risingThreshold == fallingThreshold to mean that there is a single threshold
which when crossed in either direction generates an event; like what we had
before someone invented hysteresis :-)

   So I tend to favor Robin's solution #3, in which the equality case is not
   allowed.  Is manager workload that much of an issue?... it seems that all
   it has to do is detect equality and either increment risingThreshold or
   decrement fallingThreshold.

If we go for this one then we'll have to add that constraint into the MIB.
The other solutions didn't require any modifications to the MIB.  Agent
implementors could pick either 1 or 2.

   By the way, I think it is incumbent on all vendors to caution their users
   about setting up alarm entries with parameters such that normal value
   swings would cause lots of traps to be emitted.

Couldn't agree more.

   Gary Ellis                       (garye@hpspd.spd.hp.com)
   Hewlett-Packard Company -- Intelligent Networks Operation

Robin
Robin Iddon (robini@spider.co.uk)
Spider Systems Ltd
Edinburgh