Re: [Rmt] Posting of IPR Disclosure related to QUALCOMM Incorporated's Statement about IPR related to RFC 5170

Vincent Roca <vincent.roca@inrialpes.fr> Tue, 06 October 2009 10:17 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 12:18:34 +0200
From: Vincent Roca <vincent.roca@inrialpes.fr>
To: "Luby, Michael" <luby@qualcomm.com>
Cc: "rmt@ietf.org" <rmt@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Rmt] Posting of IPR Disclosure related to QUALCOMM Incorporated's Statement about IPR related to RFC 5170

Mike,

If I understand correctly, your point is related to the possibility
offered by RFC 5170 of having several encoding symbols per packet in
order to increase the number of symbols, which is useful to improve
LDPC erasure correction capabilities when dealing with small objects.
This is what I understand when comparing claims 25-29 of U.S. patent
20080034273 to our RFC.

And from your 09/23/2009 email, this is the "additional element added
to the ldpc draft" that justified the 10 additional patents of IPR
disclosure #1184 (WRT IPR disclosure #637).

So I recognize there is a problem here. Now that it has been clarified,
we can search for a solution that would hopefully satisfy both of us.

As I said, we always did our best to avoid infringing any patent we
were aware of... But of course, there's nothing we can do in case of
unpublished pending patents!

Especially when an IPR disclosure referring to an unpublished pending
patent is not quickly updated once the patent has been granted or
rejected. In this case, patent 20080034273 has been granted in February
2008, but the IPR disclosure only updated in September 2009. In the
meantime I haven't received any complain from you there could be an
issue with the "several symbols per packet" technique. It does not help!

This reminds me of the similar situation (unpublished pending patent)
we are currently experiencing with our FECFRAME document... So far I
didn't receive any clarification after my email sent mid-September:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/fecframe/current/msg00516.html

Cheers,

  Vincent