Re: VCC cost models .... (was Re: Limits on SVCCs)

Grenville Armitage <gja@bellcore.com> Thu, 02 May 1996 14:23 UTC

To: Joel Halpern <jhalpern@us.newbridge.com>
cc: rolc@nexen.com, gja@thumper.bellcore.com
Subject: Re: VCC cost models .... (was Re: Limits on SVCCs)
Date: Thu, 02 May 1996 10:09:36 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Grenville Armitage <gja@bellcore.com>

>>The recent discussion has been suggesting that a cut-through would
>>"cost more" than a routed path across an NBMA fabric.
>>
>>Maybe I am looking at this differently, but it seems to me definitional
>>that a cut-through costs the same or less in real terms.
	[..]
>>There are many possible charging models for
>>IP service, and many possible charging models for lower layer service.

There are possible models, and then there are existing models. I'm
not aware of any ISPs serving 'the masses' who charge users for
how many router hops their outbound traffic uses. I am aware of
lower link providers who charge based on the topological 'distance' of
the calls. Given such real models, minimizing router hops by
making a long distance call comes across as less than obviously
beneficial (financially) to the entity that was redirected to perform
the cut-through. Sure, it saves router hops, but if I as Joe User
can get my web pages either way, I dont care for the incremental charge
of this cut-through.

If anyone's done a deeper analysis already, and can release it,
perhaps we can start a FAQ on cut-through. I'd be happy to see
a more detailed argument refute this straw-man negative scenario
constructed above (but based on existing or deployable-in-the-time-
frame-of-NHRP charging models, of course).

cheers,
gja