Re: Re: VCC cost models .... (was Re: Limits on SVCCs)

"Charles J. Ludinsky" <cjl@mail09.mitre.org> Thu, 02 May 1996 15:02 UTC

Subject: Re: Re: VCC cost models .... (was Re: Limits on SVCCs)
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: "Charles J. Ludinsky" <cjl@mail09.mitre.org>
To: rolc@nexen.com
cc: cjl@mitre.org
Date: Thu, 02 May 1996 10:50:31 -0400

Let's pursue the argument that the routed solution is less expensive than a
cut-through solution to its (perhaps) logical conclusion, assuming status quo
on service pricing for the Internet and for telco provided services.

Assume the following: (1) all of the features/services planned for the Internet
are implemented, especially quality of service features; (2) backbone
bandwidths are continually increased to meet demand; and (3) service pricing
remains more or less the same.  Then, one might argue, we will see businesses
migrate services such as video teleconferencing and voice telephone from the
telco services to the Internet. After all, why should a business continue
providing such services over the more expensive, per call services provived by
the telcos when cheaper fixed rate services of equivalent quality are available
elsewhere?

But who provides the underlying transmission systems that support both the
switched telco services and the Internet?  And why would one expect those
providers to, in effect, subsidize one service in favor of the other?  Can the
telcos continue to price their services as they currently do in the face of
potentially large losses of customers to the (future) Internet?

I agree with Joel's "different way of looking" at the issue.  Current service
pricing models are probably irrelevant and will change drastically as soon as
the Internet begins to offer significant competition.

Regards,
Chuck Ludinsky
cjl@mitre.org