[Roll] Éric Vyncke's Discuss on draft-ietf-roll-aodv-rpl-10: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 21 April 2021 09:44 UTC

From: =?utf-8?q?=C3=89ric_Vyncke_via_Datatracker?= <noreply@ietf.org>
To: "The IESG" <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-roll-aodv-rpl@ietf.org, roll-chairs@ietf.org, roll@ietf.org, Ines Robles <mariainesrobles@googlemail.com>, aretana.ietf@gmail.com, mariainesrobles@googlemail.com, consultancy@vanderstok.org
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 02:44:42 -0700
Subject: [Roll] =?utf-8?q?=C3=89ric_Vyncke=27s_Discuss_on_draft-ietf-roll?= =?utf-8?q?-aodv-rpl-10=3A_=28with_DISCUSS_and_COMMENT=29?=

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-roll-aodv-rpl-10: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-roll-aodv-rpl/

DISCUSS:

Thank you for the work put into this document. I seems that all cases have been
thought of :-) Good job! and having a shorter path between two RPL nodes can be
benefitial of course.

Please find below one blocking (but probably trivial to fix) DISCUSS point,
some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be appreciated), and some
nits.

Special thanks to Peter Van der Stock for the IoT directorate review:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-roll-aodv-rpl-10-iotdir-telechat-van-der-stok-2021-04-15/

To be honest, the lack of reply to Peter's review by the authors or by the WG a
little bit suprising (thank you to the RTG AD though).

Minor regret on the age of the document shepherd's write-up dated 2 years ago
and about the -06 version. Little is said about the WG consensus. But, I am
trusting the responsible AD on the consensus.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== DISCUSS ==

A very trivial to fix but I do want to have a justification of using
"point-to-point" (typically used over the two sides of a single link) vs.
"peer-to-peer" (typically used over multiple links). Is it intentional by the
ROLL WG ? Did I fail to understand the purpose of this document ? (quite
possible of course!). I am afraid that many people will interpret the
"point-to-point" like me.

COMMENT:

== COMMENTS ==

-- Section 4.3 --
Figure 3 has a 'X' while the text has a 'r' ;)

Any reason why using "Floor((7+(Prefix Length))/8) octets" rather than the
simple "Ceil(Prefix Length/8)" ?

-- Section 6.1 --
"Each node maintains a sequence number" does it impact constrained nodes ?

== NITS ==

-- Abstract --
"the links between source and target node are asymmetric" should this be
"nodes" (plural) ?

-- section 1 (and possibly others) --
I believe that the usual way to introduce acronyms is to first write the
expansion than the acronym itself. So " RPL (Routing Protocol for Low-Power and
Lossy Networks)" does not seem to fit ;)

-- Section 5 --
"R is an intermediate router" or "Rs are intermediate routers" ?