Re: [Roll] MRHOF ETX

"Reddy, Joseph" <jreddy@ti.com> Fri, 08 June 2012 18:11 UTC

From: "Reddy, Joseph" <jreddy@ti.com>
To: Philip Levis <pal@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 18:11:04 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.170.170.90]
Cc: "roll@ietf.org" <roll@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Roll] MRHOF ETX

Phil

It doesn't seem right to me that the actual metric used varies based on setting of the MinHopRankIncrease parameter ( since that parameter is defined outside of MrHof draft and its setting may be based on other considerations ). The draft clearly states  ( in section 3.3 ): "... a node MUST advertise an approximation of its ETX in its advertised Rank value....". This sentence should be modified if the intention is to encode an ETX + Hopcount-penalty depending on MinHopRankIncrease setting.

As an aside, is there a specific reason to use 128 as the factor for multiplying ETX? Since the default value of MinHopRankIncrease is 256 in the RPL spec, using ETX*256 as the encoding would allow the default usage to be ETX without a hopcount penalty ( which is likely to be common usage ).

 -Joseph