Re: [Roll] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-roll-applicability-home-building-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Sun, 17 May 2015 10:40 UTC

Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 11:39:52 +0100
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: consultancy@vanderstok.org, Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks <roll@ietf.org>, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
Cc: mcr@sandelman.ca, roll-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-roll-applicability-home-building.ad@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-roll-applicability-home-building@ietf.org, yvonneanne.pignolet@gmail.com, draft-ietf-roll-applicability-home-building.shepherd@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Roll] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-roll-applicability-home-building-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi all, and apologies for the slow response...

On 27/04/15 08:05, peter van der Stok wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> This new draft includes the return to the RFC2119 text.
> It includes all comments answered during the security evaluation.
> It includes suggestions by Michael to answer the DISCUSS raised by
> Stephen Farrell.

I'm sorry to say I don't think we're there yet. I just read the
current draft and I think we still have significant issues for
this DISCUSS.

- If the way in which we are achieving interoperable security is
via layer2-only then I would argue that that has to be more clearly
stated up front (for truth-in-advertising reasons) as otherwise
people may implement/deploy assuming the opposite.

- I really seriously question the proposition that layer2-only
security is sufficient for more complex building requirements.
If that is true, then this document needs to say when it is safe
and when it is unsafe to use RPL in such networks. (I can accept
that layer2-only is ok for simple buildings and homes, at least
for the next few years.)

- The "MUST be present" at the start of 4.1.8 is not quite right.
If the plan here is layer2-only then you need to say something
more like that all RPL packets MUST be sent using the layer2
mechanisms and MUST be verified as having been received using
the layer2 mechanisms. That (I guess) could require some code
if a node can ever emit/receive an insecure message.

- 7.1 remains a collection of references that will not IMO give
us interop when multiple vendors are involved. Can you explain
to me why I'm wrong? (And I don't mean the multicast bit, but
the stuff about unicast.)

Again, apologies for being a barrier to progress here, but I
guess we're paying the price now for us collectively not having
addressed this issue back at the start of the ROLL WG's work. I
do think though that we need to ensure that we don't send out a
set of specifications that might put quite a number of networks
at risk because of our omissions, even if that means we need to
address some technically and politically tricky issues.

Cheers,
S.

PS: Sorry to say I'll be travelling for the next few days so
concall on this in a week or so? If that helps, I'm very happy
to do that.