Re: [Roll] Compressing the PDAO natively

Rahul Arvind Jadhav <rahul.jadhav@huawei.com> Sat, 27 July 2019 00:21 UTC

From: Rahul Arvind Jadhav <rahul.jadhav@huawei.com>
To: Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks <roll@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2019 00:21:02 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.61.109.81]
Subject: Re: [Roll] Compressing the PDAO natively

Hi,

For control plane it certainly will help if P-DAO’s address list is compressed. There are other candidates also for control plane compression, such as:

1.      Target option compression in DAO. Can 6lo CID be used? Does this result in cross-layer violation (RPL getting info from 6lo)? If we do not intend to do this, then can we use the ‘Compr’ mechanism used in P2P-RPL/AODV-RPL to elide network prefix in Target Option by using DODAGID.

2.      Is it possible to remove network prefix from the parent address information in Transit Information Option in non-storing DAO ?

3.      NSA-extensions parent set address list compression .. as mentioned by Georgios.

4.      Compressing multiple ARTs (AODV-RPL Targets).

We know that IPv6 addresses are primary source of overhead in all RPL control messages. Can we also put general recommendations for addressing fields for any new work?

Also I assume that with PDAO we intend to compress not only the SRVIO but also the VIO used for storing P-DAO and the same scheme will work.

Regards,
Rahul