Re: [Roll] draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-02 (proposed text)

"Dijk, Esko" <esko.dijk@philips.com> Mon, 27 August 2012 13:46 UTC

From: "Dijk, Esko" <esko.dijk@philips.com>
To: "Jonathan Hui (johui)" <johui@cisco.com>, "roll@ietf.org" <roll@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 13:45:42 +0000
x-originating-ip: [194.171.252.101]
Subject: Re: [Roll] draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-02 (proposed text)

Hello Jonathan,

great to see that this draft includes many improvements. However the added overhead of the newly introduced IPv6-in-IPv6 encapsulation and the removal of the 0-byte "seed-id==IPv6-source-address" option is worrying. For example in a typical use in a 6LoWPAN 802.15.4 network, an extra 6LoWPAN IPHC header is included (+4 bytes) and a seed-id (+16 bytes) field compared to the same situation using the 'old' Trickle Multicast.

That's 20 bytes more overhead and space is already scarce. (With 2-byte seed-ids we can get this 20 down to 6 bytes, but that implies some seed-id assignment process is needed which was not needed in Trickle Multicast.)

The reason is given as follows:
> IPv6-in-IPv6 encapsulation is necessary to support Path MTU discovery when the MPL
>    forwarder is not the source of the original multicast packet.  IPv6-
>    in-IPv6 encapsulation also allows an MPL forwarder to remove the MPL
>    Option when forwarding the original multicast packet over a link that
>    does not support MPL.
Why is Path MTU discovery necessary here? (Isn't it optional?) Sensible applications would stay far, far away from the MTU size e.g. 1280 bytes in 6LoWPAN, especially for multicast.
And why is encapsulation needed to support it? (Maybe there is a reference that explains this?)

Is it possible to 'fix' the problem and use the compactness of the 'old' (v00) packet format in the new draft?

best regards,
Esko