Re: [Roll] Border router failure detection

Konrad Iwanicki <iwanicki@mimuw.edu.pl> Wed, 04 March 2020 12:54 UTC

From: Konrad Iwanicki <iwanicki@mimuw.edu.pl>
To: Rahul Jadhav <rahul.ietf@gmail.com>, Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks <roll@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 13:54:33 +0100
Subject: Re: [Roll] Border router failure detection

Dear Raul,

On 03.03.2020 11:45, Rahul Jadhav wrote:
> Welcome Konrad and great to hear you on ROLL,

Thank you.

> I have a few questions with regard to the problem statement before we
> dive into the solution part.
>
> Border Router (BR) crash/restart is an issue and any deployment needs to
> tackle it (IMO, in version 0.1). As I understand the aim of the paper is
> to ensure that the attached nodes should detect the BR failure asap.
> Just curious to understand how the nodes use this information in your
> deployments? What will be the use-case of this detection?

Yes, the main goal is to detect a failure of a border router asap. In
general, the use-cases cover highly available systems. Faster detection
of BR failures gives more possibilities when switching to fallback
mechanisms, rebinding to a different DODAG, or spawning a new one. A few
concrete examples:

1. Minimizing lost samples in push-based data-collection apps.

A classic app: each node periodically sends data upward to a BR, which
then forwards them to a sink.

If one aims at perfect reliability, an end-to-end solution is required:
the sink acknowledges each data sample, and samples that have not been
acknowledged are buffered and retransmitted when possible. This requires
downward-routed ACKs.

In contrast, if we assume nearly-perfect data delivery in that we
occasionally allow individual samples to be lost, we can have a more
efficient solution. To begin with, if implemented properly, link-layer
mechanisms such as hop-by-hop acks, queuing, and retransmissions already
allow for a very high end-to-end packet reception rate for many
deployments. As I mentioned in my first e-mail, this leaves BR failures
as the main cause of burst data loss, at least in our experience.
Therefore, if we can detect a BR failure fast, nodes can quickly switch
to buffering samples instead of forwarding them (few samples are lost),
and start forwarding again only when the BR recovers. What we gain in
this approach is first eliminating end-to-end ACKs, which reduces
data-related traffic up to two times. Second, if the nodes just collect
data, the network's MOP can be downgraded to 0, which in particular
eliminates DAOs and DAO-ACKs, thereby further reducing the overall
traffic. Third, when operating under MOP 0, we can employ a dedicated
radio activity scheduling algorithms at the link layer, which reduces
energy expenditures even more and can further improve end-to-end packet
reception rate. Overall, with RNFD we can get a few-fold extension of
the node battery lifetime without sacrificing end-to-end data delivery
much compared to the end-to-end solution.

2. Maximizing availability in pull-based data-collection apps.

Here an opposite approach: nodes act as servers from which other
Internet hosts pull data on demand. (The applicability of the approach
below is much wider though).

In this app, and actually in general, it makes sense for a node to be a
member of as few DODAGs as possible, ideally just the best one. This is
because belonging to a DODAG incurs an overhead on memory, computation,
and control traffic, not only on this node but also its ancestors in the
DODAG. The problem is that if a BR goes down, a node may be unreachable
for a while.

One solution would thus be joining multiple DODAGs, irrespective of the
overhead. The drawback is that this overhead is to be paid always, even
when the network operates correctly. If, in turn, we have fast BR
failure detection, nodes can belong to just one DODAG, and quickly
switch it upon a BR failure. Again, this can reduce the overhead, at
least twice, without sacrificing availability much (at least
unavailability due to BR failures).

3. Maximizing availability in networks with actuation.

We have sensor and actuator nodes. Routing from sensors to actuators is
normally driven by a BR. This allows, for instance, for traffic analysis
and forwarding sensor samples to other sinks (e.g., analytical or
visualization components) besides the relevant actuators.

If a BR goes down, however, what you want to have at the very least is
communication between sensors and actuators, so that the system
continues to operate. To this end, the actuators can be roots of their
own (floating) DODAGs. Again, for efficiency one would probably prefer
this to happen only upon a BR failure not throughout the entire lifetime
of the system. This means that being able to detect a BR failure as fast
as possible may be crucial to ensure that actuators spawn their own
DODAGs and get sensor readings without major disruptions.

> In my deployments, my focus was to get the BR restarted as soon
> as possible and then ensure that the nodes below it could rejoin the
> restarted BR. This would mean that BR needs to backup some state
> information that would be used post-crash-recovery.

This is very important as well. However, in our case, the control of
when the BR is restarted was limited to some extent. The goal of RNFD is
giving additional possibilities to improve the network's performance
over the period of such a failure. The two problems are thus orthogonal.

> On the contrary, in my scenario, it was necessary to detect 6LN/6LR
> failure without depending on periodical pings from nodes to central
> sever i.e., for some reason if the node (non-BR node) is stuck, then BR
> should detect it asap (without depending on route lifetime since it
> could be very high) so that measures could be taken (for e.g., send a
> personnel to repair the smart meter). This also is non-trivial to
> handle. For BR, it is always possible to ping on the external leg and
> check availability. Also, BR unavailability means no traffic going out
> from any nodes and thus is easy to identify on the external monitoring
> system.

True this is also not trivial but, as I wrote above, it is an orthogonal
problem.

In general, RNFD is no silver bullet. Apart from the cases that both of
us mentioned, there are other types of failures possible in a network
that RNFD does not address. What it does, however, is solving a
particular problem that we found relevant in practice and that hopefully
may be relevant for other people as well.

> Also, as Michael mentioned, the working group had discussed some issues
> with respect to reboot handling (on 6LN/6LR/BR) and it has been captured
> in https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-roll-rpl-observations/
> It would be immensely helpful to get your view on those points.

Sure, I will take a look at this when I find some time slot.

Best regards,
--
- Konrad Iwanicki.