Re: [Roll] P2P-RPL: Data-Option in P2P-DIO

Jakob Buron <Jakob_Buron@sigmadesigns.com> Tue, 29 May 2012 13:24 UTC

From: Jakob Buron <Jakob_Buron@sigmadesigns.com>
To: "'Reddy, Joseph'" <jreddy@ti.com>, Mukul Goyal <mukul@uwm.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 13:24:03 +0000
x-originating-ip: [192.168.10.77]
Cc: "roll@ietf.org" <roll@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Roll] P2P-RPL: Data-Option in P2P-DIO

Hi, please see my comments inline.

[Jakob]
I understand the concern about the Data Option and cross-layer interactions. I also believe that it is a sensible and necessary design choice for home automation networks. Home automation frequently requires low-latency messages to be delivered to targets for which the originator has no route. An example is a remote light switch that needs to control a relocated lamp. The fastest way to do that in a reactive routing scheme is to piggyback the data on the routing packets. The other option would be to use simple flooding, with no trickle control, which would involve generating a huge number of packets. Piggybacking data on routing packets helps avoid generating extra packets.

Home automation networks do not need to update the Data Option while a discovery is in progress. I am okay with removing the sequence numbers if they add too much complexity.

Best regards,
Jakob