Re: [Roll] [roll] #132: draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-04 - Clarify scope value of 3 - subnet-local

Robert Cragie <robert.cragie@gridmerge.com> Tue, 15 October 2013 22:50 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 23:50:49 +0100
From: Robert Cragie <robert.cragie@gridmerge.com>
To: roll@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Roll] [roll] #132: draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-04 - Clarify scope value of 3 - subnet-local

Hi Kerry,

Comments inline.

I am in favour of using PAN ID as the basis for the MPL Domain Address
with scope 3 for 802.15.4-based networks. The PAN ID is the fundamental
identifier that groups nodes in a PAN and therefore forms a clear zone
for multicast dissemination. Anything else is going to be an unclear
superset or subset.

The language can get a bit circular so I think the statement for an
802.15.4-based network is:

"An MPL Domain associated with an MPL Domain Address of
ALL_MPL_FORWARDERS with a scope value of 3 (Realm-Local) is a scope zone
within which the set of 802.15.4 MPL Interfaces subscribing to that MPL
Domain Address all have the same PAN ID."

Compare with a similar statement for Admin-Local scope:

"An MPL Domain associated with an MPL Domain Address with a scope value
of 4 (Admin-Local) is a scope zone within which the set of MPL
Interfaces subscribing to that MPL Domain Address is administratively
configured."

Robert

On 15/10/2013 18:17, Kerry Lynn wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Don Sturek <d.sturek@att.net
> <mailto:d.sturek@att.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Michael,
>
>     We should leave in scope 4 for use in administratively scoped domains.
>     This would allow applications to define specific multicast
>     addresses using
>     scope 4 without having to go through the trouble to "un-reserve"
>     adminstrative scope.
>
>     Also, I am in favor of Ralph's proposal on using PAN ID for MPL
>     scope 3.
>     I don't see how any automatic configuration could take place if we
>     can't
>     identify a concrete identifier for the scope.  The other
>     alternative (and
>     to be honest the one I thought we were going to use) is DODAG ID.
>       This
>     would allow your scenario where a subnet of different link
>     technologies
>     could support MPL domain 3.
>
> If a host can be present simultaneously in more than one DODAG then
> we run afoul of normative RFC 4007 behavior:
>
>   Zones of the same scope cannot overlap; i.e., they can have no links
>   or interfaces in common.
>
> Link-local scope is essentially defined by a combination of link layer
> connectivity and routing behavior.
<RCC>Link-local scope is defined by link layer connectivity only,
surely? Where does routing behavior come into it?<.RCC>

> I believe we need something similar
> in order to automatically define scope 0x03.  To the extent that we need
> scope 0x03 at all, I think it's to emulate classic link-local behavior
> in a
> mesh.
<RCC>I agree with this, however it is not always clear what constitutes
"the mesh". There has to be one thing in common with all the interfaces
which participate in the mesh; PAN ID is an obvious choice and clearly
sets the zone of scope 3 in this case. DODAG ID is another possibility
but MPL propagation through MPL forwarders is not rooted at a single
node so it is more like RPL-P2P in some respects.</RCC>
> There are only so many ways that meshes can be distinguished:
> either by location, frequency, or code diversity (assuming any two of
> three overlap).  In Ralph's example, he assumes location and frequency
> overlap.  In Michael's example, I suspect he assumes location and PAN
> ID overlap.
>
> Finally, we may need to constrain Ralph's definition a bit further and
> define an 802.15.4  scope 0x03 zone as a set of interfaces that share
> a common PAN coordinator and PAN ID.
<RCC>I think that statement is tautological as the PAN coordinator
dictates the PAN ID therefore must share the PAN ID. Therefore this
reduces to sharing a PAN ID.</RCC>