[Roll] IANA registry for OFs

"Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk> Mon, 11 June 2012 12:18 UTC

From: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
To: 'Don Sturek' <d.sturek@att.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 13:18:14 +0100
Cc: roll@ietf.org
Subject: [Roll] IANA registry for OFs

Hi,

If I understood this part of the thread correctly, you are suggesting revising
the current registry (http://www.iana.org/assignments/rpl/rpl.xml#ocp) that is
set up as a single range 0-65535 with "IETF review" allocation policy.

According to RFC 5226 that means "New values are assigned only through RFCs that
have been shepherded through the IESG as AD-Sponsored or IETF WG Documents"

It seems to me that this is adequate for immediate needs, but you might be
asking to relax this and partition the range for future use. You could consider
a range of first come first served code points, or a range (possibly just one).

Making any change to the registry would require a standards track RFC, and I
would suggest that, if this is what you want to achieve, you should start such a
document and equip it with some description of the reasoning/use-cases that
motivate you. It need not be a long document.

Cheers,
Adrian