Re: [Roll] Fwd: Re: [roll] #167 (admin-local-policy): Not match the requirement for administrative configuration of the admin-local scope

peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> Tue, 23 December 2014 08:52 UTC

Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 09:52:31 +0100
From: peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl>
To: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, roll@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Roll] Fwd: Re: [roll] #167 (admin-local-policy): Not match the requirement for administrative configuration of the admin-local scope

Hi Joel,

There has been a lot of discussion on the roll mailing list of what
administratively configured means.
A message on the roll mailing list from Michael Richardson summarizes a
meeting we had on the subject, and probably cuts to the core of your
argument as well.
See:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/roll/current/msg08335.html

In particular:
<quote>
The origin of the second mis-understanding was that the text in
multicast-scopes (and rfc 4291) says:

          Admin-Local scope is the smallest scope that must be
          administratively configured, i.e., not automatically derived

The understanding of "administratively configured" for many people
implies truck rolls, or ssh logins or router CLI commands.  It was
only when this assumption was clearly articulated that the origin of the
conflict became clear to all parties.

The new understanding is that "administratively configured" is not
limited to the things that a human did it, but rather includes any
processes or operations that a human (including an IETF document) might
cause.   The intent of multicast-scopes is not to limit ways that
scopes 4+ can be determined, but to clarify that scopes <=3 are *not*
intended to be defined by a physical (or physical-like) topologies.
</quote>

Does this indeed address your issue?
And, do you want me to site the explanation of administratively
configured in the draft?
accompanied by text that the proposed policy is a default policy.

Greetings,

Peter