Re: [Roll] [roll] #165 (applicability-home-building): DIO max interval

peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> Fri, 14 November 2014 00:01 UTC

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 01:01:37 +0100
From: peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl>
To: roll@ietf.org
Cc: draft-ietf-roll-applicability-home-building@tools.ietf.org, yvonneanne.pignolet@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Roll] [roll] #165 (applicability-home-building): DIO max interval

Hi Yvonne,

In RFC 6206 (trickle), the introduction explains:
  "When a node's data does not agree with its
    neighbors, that node communicates quickly to resolve the
    inconsistency (e.g., in milliseconds).  When nodes agree, they slow
    their communication rate exponentially, such that nodes send packets
    very infrequently (e.g., a few packets per hour)."

We propose to add the following text to section 4.3.1.

When a node sends a changed DIO, this is an inconsistency and forces the
receiving node to respond within Imin.
So when something happens which affects the DIO, the change is ideally
communicated to a node n hops away within n times Imin.
Often, dependent on the node density, packets are lost, or not sent,
leading to larger delays.
In general we can expect that DIO changes to propagate within 1 to 3
seconds within the envisaged networks.

When nothing happens, the DIO sending interval increases to 4.37
minutes, thus drastically reducing the network load.

When a node does not receive DIO messages during more than 10 minutes it
can safely conclude the connection with other nodes has been lost.

Peter