Re: [Roll] [Anima] ANIMA draft charter

"Papadimitriou, Dimitri (Dimitri)" <dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel-lucent.com> Thu, 07 August 2014 10:35 UTC

From: "Papadimitriou, Dimitri (Dimitri)" <dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "adrian@olddog.co.uk" <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, "routing-discussion@ietf.org" <routing-discussion@ietf.org>, "manet@ietf.org" <manet@ietf.org>, "roll@ietf.org" <roll@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 10:34:50 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.239.27.38]
Subject: Re: [Roll] [Anima] ANIMA draft charter

Hi Adrian, all

Thanks for sharing. Reading this charter, the following statement escapes me

"Autonomic functions already exist today, for example IGP routing protocols such as OSPF."

I would have said OSPF like any other IGP is adaptive (and from the current state only -not previous states-) but it is not autonomous: the same input leads to the same output (decision), i.e., there is no improvement of quality of the decision process over time and on the other hand there is no mean by which OSPF can by itself overcome degradation of performance (at best mitigate if pre-configured to execute fixed sequences for a sub-set of pre-determined conditions, cf.RFC 4222, so again driven by open control loops).

Setting of configurable constants is mainly driven by open control loops. Moreover individual routers can't make autonomous decisions in terms of area parameters configuration as all routers belonging to an area must agree on that area's configuration).

Thanks,
-dimitri.