Re: [Roll] draft-ietf-roll-security-framework returned to working group.

"Adrian Farrel" <adrian@olddog.co.uk> Mon, 13 August 2012 10:06 UTC

From: Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>
To: 'Abdussalam Baryun' <abdussalambaryun@gmail.com>, roll@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 11:06:36 +0100
Cc: tzeta.tsao@cooperindustries.com
Subject: Re: [Roll] draft-ietf-roll-security-framework returned to working group.

Yeah, hi.

I think the thing you are missing is that it had become "impossible" to resolve
the final Discuss. Of course, as described in the references you cite, Discusses
must be "resolvable", but the work to resolve this Discuss is considerable and
results in a significant set of documents being produced.

The issue was as follows:

- During processing of draft-ietf-roll-rpl there was a Discuss that said
   (approximately) "You haven't done enough security work".
   The response was: "Don't worry, it will show up in the security
   framework"
- However, the security framework (this draft) simply passes the
   buck to other future drafts.
- The Discuss says "show me the security work"

There was an option to keep this document hanging on while that security work
was done, or to put in place the plan (as explained by Michael) to run a series
of documents that will together comprise the security details for RPL. In that
plan, this document is reworked to be a Threat Analysis simply be removing some
of the text, and polishing a little. It will then be re-issued, run through the
WG and completed.

The I-D did not expire until I marked it "Dead" in the data tracker. That action
was in agreement with the chairs and as part of the plan for the set of security
documents.

Thanks,
Adrian