Re: [Roll] Comments on draft-dt-roll-p2p-rpl-01

JP Vasseur <jpv@cisco.com> Wed, 16 June 2010 10:11 UTC

From: JP Vasseur <jpv@cisco.com>
To: Mukul Goyal <mukul@UWM.EDU>, Emmanuel Baccelli <emmanuel.baccelli@inria.fr>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 12:10:59 +0200
Cc: ROLL WG <roll@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Roll] Comments on draft-dt-roll-p2p-rpl-01

Hi,

As promised here is some text wrt the trade-off on on-demand routing.

"As pointed out in this document, RPL does provide support of P2P
routes via a common
ancestor. Using the mechanism described in this document, more optimal
routes with
regards to some metrics may be discovered but it is worth pointing out
that this comes
at the price of additional control messages in the network since the
discovery process
requires sending additional routing control plane messages. The gain
in terms of path
optimality may vary with the network topology and networking
conditions. Thus network
designer may want to take into account the trade-off between the
potential discovery of a
more optimal route and the associated cost in terms of network and
node resources.
Note that on-demand routing also offers the benefit of not having to
maintains states
as with proactive routing."

Thanks.

JP.