Re: [Roll] I-D Action: draft-ietf-roll-useofrplinfo-41.txt

Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ca> Mon, 21 September 2020 18:59 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ca>
To: roll@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 14:59:46 -0400
Subject: Re: [Roll] I-D Action: draft-ietf-roll-useofrplinfo-41.txt

internet-drafts@ietf.org wrote:
    > https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-roll-useofrplinfo-41

Hi, based upon a conversation this morning among the authors and useofrplinfo
and turnon-rfc8138, we arrived at the diffs above.

The point is that the changes to MOP and the rename of the
DODAG Configuration Options Flags registry would get done in the first
document that uses them, which is useofrplinfo.

I agreed to make the diffs required, and I hope that I got it right.

Some bits of the diff:

 4.3.  Updates to RFC6550: Configuration Options and Mode of Operation

     RFC6550 section 6.7.6 describes the DODAG Configuration Option.  In
     this option are a series of Flags in the first octet of the payload.
     These flags are described by the DODAG Configuration Option Flags
     registry [dodagcfg], in section 20.14 of RFC6550.

     Anticipating future work to revise RPL relating to how the LLN and
     DODAG is configured, this document changes the interpretation of the
     [dodagcfg] Registry to be limited to Mode-of-Operation (MOP)
     specific.  The MOP is described in [RFC6550] section 6.3.1.  The
     Options Flags Registry is renamed, and applies to MOP values zero (0)
     to six (6) only, leaving the flags reserved for MOP value seven (7).

     In addition, this document reserves MOP value 7 for future expansion.

11.2.  Changes to DODAG Configuration Options Flags

     This document changes the name of the "DODAG Configuration Option
     Flags" [dodagcfg] to "DODAG Configuration Option Flags for MOP 0..6".

11.3.  Change MOP value 7 to Reserved

     This document changes the allocation status of the Mode of Operation
     (MOP) [ianamop] from Unassigned to Reserved.  This change is in
     support of future work related to capabilities.

The MOPEX document would then allocate the value, but nobody else can use it
before then.