[Roll] Barry Leiba's Discuss on draft-ietf-roll-mpl-parameter-configuration-06: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

"Barry Leiba" <barryleiba@computer.org> Tue, 07 July 2015 18:18 UTC

From: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 11:18:03 -0700
Cc: roll-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-roll-mpl-parameter-configuration@ietf.org, roll@ietf.org, maria.ines.robles@ericsson.com, draft-ietf-roll-mpl-parameter-configuration.shepherd@ietf.org, draft-ietf-roll-mpl-parameter-configuration.ad@ietf.org
Subject: [Roll] Barry Leiba's Discuss on draft-ietf-roll-mpl-parameter-configuration-06: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Barry Leiba has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-roll-mpl-parameter-configuration-06: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-roll-mpl-parameter-configuration/

DISCUSS:

This should be a very easy discussion to resolve:

-- Section 2.3 --

   A node SHOULD leave an MPL domain if it receives an updated MPL
   Parameter Configuration Option without a configuration for the MPL
   domain, unless it has overriding manual configuration on the MPL
   domain.  In other words, if a node is configured to work as a MPL
   Forwarder for a MPL domain regardless of DHCPv6 Options, the node MAY
   stay on the MPL domain even if it receives an MPL Parameter
   Configuration Option without configuration for the MPL domain.

I'm confused by this, because it appears to contradict itself.

Some questions might help he understand:

If I receive an updated MPL PCO that lacks a config for the MPL domain,
then there are two possible situations:

Case 1: I do *not* have an overriding manual config for the domain.  In
this case, the text says that I SHOULD leave the domain.  Is that
correct?  Is it OK in this case for me to decide to stay on the domain
anyway, even if I have no manual configuration for it?

Case 2: I *do* have an overriding manual config for the domain.  In this
case, the text seems to say that it's entirely my choice ("MAY") whether
or not I stay on the domain or leave it.  Is that correct?

Please discuss this with me, so I can suggest how to make the text
clearer, depending upon the answers to those questions.

COMMENT:

-- Section 2.1 --

   option_len:  Length of the option.  It SHOULD be 16 (without MPL
      domain address) or 32 (with MPL domain address).

"SHOULD", really?  What else *can* it be, and still be valid?  Is there
any legitimate reason I might make it something else?  Or should this
just say this?:

NEW?
   option_len:  Length of the option, which is 16 if no MPL domain
      address is present, or 32 if there is an MPL domain address.
END