Re: [Roll] I-D Action: draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-02.txt

"Dijk, Esko" <esko.dijk@philips.com> Thu, 01 November 2012 13:18 UTC

From: "Dijk, Esko" <esko.dijk@philips.com>
To: "Jonathan Hui (johui)" <johui@cisco.com>, "Reddy, Joseph" <jreddy@ti.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 13:17:10 +0000
x-originating-ip: [194.171.252.103]
Cc: "roll@ietf.org" <roll@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Roll] I-D Action: draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-02.txt

> Any feedback from others in the WG on this?  Should we include support for selecting 1, 2, or more parameter sets?

Having two parameter sets is useful to support two main uses of multicast in LLNs for the building control domain;

1) Device/service discovery, such as mDNS and CoAP's /.well-known/core.
Latency is less important here; avoiding high network load due to discovery traffic is also a goal if other more time-critical application are running at the same time.
-> "slow" Trickle parameter set

2) Building Control involving groups of devices
Latency can be important (e.g. lighting control, or any device operation triggered by sensors or smartphones)
-> "fast" Trickle parameter set

Esko