Re: [Roll] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-roll-applicability-home-building-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> Wed, 15 April 2015 07:24 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 09:24:48 +0200
From: peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl>
To: Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks <roll@ietf.org>
Cc: roll-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-roll-applicability-home-building.ad@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-roll-applicability-home-building@ietf.org, yvonneanne.pignolet@gmail.com, draft-ietf-roll-applicability-home-building.shepherd@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Roll] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-roll-applicability-home-building-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

HI Michael and Stephen,

> In reading section 7 again just now, I see how things went wrong...
> Some text
> seems to have snuck into section 7(.0) that tries to sit on the fence,
> so I
> propose to remove paragraphs 3 and 4 of that section and say instead:
>     "This document mandates that a layer-2 mechanism be used during
> initial
>      and incremental deployment. Please see the following sections."
>
> Section 7.1, is quite clear that PANA is being specified to carry EAP
> messages for a 1x bootstrap into layer-2 security.    That this is the
> default position of this document.  I have tried to persuade the
> authors to
> be clearer and less speculative. While I'm thrilled that they like the
> methods 6tisch is considering, I'd prefer to remove the paragraph "New
> approaches...".

In principle the removal of paragraphs can be quite satisfactory because
in the restraint one recognizes the master (my translation from German).
But, it makes me wonder for whom we write this applicability draft.

It is quite clear that protocols exist and are used for the
initialization of the layer-2 security.
On the other hand, many new protocols are suggested and not from an
academic point of view but because there is a need.
Removing the speculation means removing the recognition of this state of
affairs.

My suggestion is that with the removal of the speculation, a caveat is
introduced that current text does not cover all known building and home
deployment cases.
Especially in connection to multicast I should like to indicate that
work on multicast security is needed because far from solved.

An alternative conclusion is that current state of affairs suggests an
Information document.

> I would like prefer that this document was even more precisely about
> what
> kind of 15.4 security is being used, either directly profiling the
> relevant
> parts of the 802.15.4 specification, or by indirect reference to
> something
> that does.

The draft mentions ZigBee and Wi-SUN HAN. Any additional suggestions?

Peter