Re: [Roll] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-roll-applicability-home-building-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Thu, 09 April 2015 09:59 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 10:59:12 +0100
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: consultancy@vanderstok.org, Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks <roll@ietf.org>
Cc: roll-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-roll-applicability-home-building.ad@ietf.org, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-roll-applicability-home-building@ietf.org, yvonneanne.pignolet@gmail.com, draft-ietf-roll-applicability-home-building.shepherd@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Roll] Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-roll-applicability-home-building-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hiya,

On 09/04/15 09:42, peter van der Stok wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> thanks for the comments.
> There is one comment that I should like to react to before the others:
>
>> - 7.3, I do not believe that [I-D.keoh-dice-multicast-security]
>> is necessarily going to proceed via the DICE WG. Depending
>> on it would be fairly high-risk in any case.
>>

> I have the same fear. BUT multicast will be used and having a secure
> protocol is an urgent wish.

That's clear. What's not clear is whether or not there is a way
to meet that wish at the TLS layer. Seems that there may not be
is my guess at the DICE WG current thinking.

> I understand the reasons why the current draft will not make it.
> However, I know that other people are working on better sequels.
> I think this multicast security is important.
> Do you think I should add text to emphasize my opinion and encourage
> sequels to [I-D.keoh-dice-multicast-security] ?

That could be fine, but if you do, please consider that the
solution may need to use security primitives above the
transport layer, e.g. perhaps in CoAP payload.

Cheers,
S.