Re: [Roll] No path DAO problem stmt draft

"Rahul Arvind Jadhav (Rahul Arvind Jadhav, 2012 Labs)" <rahul.jadhav@huawei.com> Thu, 03 March 2016 04:17 UTC

From: "Rahul Arvind Jadhav (Rahul Arvind Jadhav, 2012 Labs)" <rahul.jadhav@huawei.com>
To: Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks <roll@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2016 04:17:39 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.18.214.70]
Subject: Re: [Roll] No path DAO problem stmt draft

Thanks Cenk,

Yes the DAO-ACK scenario you mentioned is relevant and IMO should be explained in the draft.
And as you mentioned, using DAO-ACK, even though a node is aware that its NPDAO (No-Path DAO) didn’t work out, there is nothing it can do about it. The behavior is implementation-defined and may cause interop issues.

Just to restate your scenario:
A node sends an NP-DAO with ACK flag enabled. If the previous parent is unavailable then the DAO-ACK won’t be rcvd and thus the target node is now aware that NPDAO didn’t work out. Having learnt that, there is nothing the node could do about it, and it would still result in stale/unwanted entries along the previous path.

Also there is one more problem statement that needs to be added to the draft, regarding impact on P2P traffic if route invalidation using NPDAO does not work. Stale/Unwanted routing entries may impact P2P traffic since the routing entries are not flushed from previous parent set and they would still consider that the target node is reachable via them for any p2p traffic.

Thanks,
Rahul