Re: [Roll] Last Call: <draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-05.txt> (Multicast Protocol for Low power and Lossy Networks (MPL)) to Proposed Standard

Robert Cragie <robert.cragie@gridmerge.com> Mon, 14 October 2013 14:06 UTC

Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 15:06:25 +0100
From: Robert Cragie <robert.cragie@gridmerge.com>
To: roll@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Roll] Last Call: <draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-05.txt> (Multicast Protocol for Low power and Lossy Networks (MPL)) to Proposed Standard

I would propose adding the language to draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast.
There doesn't seem much point to doing another "world's shortest RFC".

Here's an attempt at combining Ralph's text with the terminology in the
draft:

=================
OLD
By default, an MPL Forwarder SHOULD participate in an MPL Domain
identified by the ALL_MPL_FORWARDERS multicast address with a scope
value of 3 (Realm-Local) [I-D.droms-6man-multicast-scopes].  When used
with MPL, Realm-Local scope is administratively defined and used to
define the boundaries of multicast message dissemination by MPL.

NEW
By default, an MPL Forwarder SHOULD participate in an MPL Domain where
the MPL Domain Address is the ALL_MPL_FORWARDERS multicast address with
a scope value of 3 (Realm-Local) [I-D.droms-6man-multicast-scopes].
When used with MPL, Realm-Local scope is defined according to the
underlying network technology; for example, when used in an
IP-over-IEEE802.15.4 network, Realm-Local scope is defined to include
the set of MPL Interfaces sharing a PAN ID.

An MPL Forwarder MAY participate in an MPL Domain where the MPL Domain
Address uses a scope value of 4 (Admin-Local)
[I-D.droms-6man-multicast-scopes]. When used with MPL, Admin-Local scope
can be used in deployments that use administratively defined scopes that
cover, for example, subnets based on different underlying network
technologies.

Robert