Re: [Roll] I-D Action: draft-ietf-roll-p2p-rpl-10.txt

Mukul Goyal <mukul@uwm.edu> Mon, 07 May 2012 09:36 UTC

Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 04:35:58 -0500
From: Mukul Goyal <mukul@uwm.edu>
To: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
Cc: roll@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Roll] I-D Action: draft-ietf-roll-p2p-rpl-10.txt

Hi Michael

Does the following text meets your concerns?

Thanks
Mukul

Section 7.2 (Data Option)

"o  Upper: A 4-bit field that identifies the upper layer protocol
      header with which the information in the Data field starts.  A
      value 0x0 in this field identifies UDP as the upper layer protocol
      while the value 0xF is reserved for Private Use as defined in
      [RFC5226].  The other values are Unassigned [RFC5226] at present.

"

Section 14.  IANA Considerations

14.1.  Additions to Mode of Operation

   This document defines a new Mode of Operation, entitled "P2P Route
   Discovery Mode" (see Section 6), assigned a value of 4 from the "Mode
   of Operation" space [to be removed upon publication:
   http://www.iana.org/assignments/rpl/rpl.xml#mop] [RFC6550].

     +-------+---------------------------------------+---------------+
     | Value |              Description              |   Reference   |
     +-------+---------------------------------------+---------------+
     |   4   | P2P Route Discovery Mode of Operation | This document |
     +-------+---------------------------------------+---------------+

                             Mode of Operation

14.2.  Additions to RPL Control Message Options

   This document defines two new RPL options:

   o  "P2P Route Discovery Option" (see Section 7.1), assigned a value
      of 0x0A from the "RPL Control Message Options" space [to be
      removed upon publication: http://www.iana.org/assignments/rpl/
      rpl.xml#control-message-options] [RFC6550].

   o  "Data Option" (see Section 7.2), assigned a value of 0x0B from the
      "RPL Control Message Options" space [to be removed upon
      publication: http://www.iana.org/assignments/rpl/
      rpl.xml#control-message-options] [RFC6550].

              +-------+---------------------+---------------+
              | Value |       Meaning       |   Reference   |
              +-------+---------------------+---------------+
              |  0x0A | P2P Route Discovery | This document |
              |  0x0B |         Data        | This document |
              +-------+---------------------+---------------+

                        RPL Control Message Options

14.3.  Additions to RPL Control Codes

   This document defines the following new RPL messages:

   o  "Discovery Reply Object" (see Section 8), assigned a value of 0x04
      from the "RPL Control Codes" space [to be removed upon
      publication:
      http://www.iana.org/assignments/rpl/rpl.xml#control-codes]
      [RFC6550].

   o  "Discovery Reply Object Acknowledgement" (see Section 10),
      assigned a value of 0x05 from the "RPL Control Codes" space [to be
      removed upon publication:
      http://www.iana.org/assignments/rpl/rpl.xml#control-codes]
      [RFC6550].
   o  "Secure Discovery Reply Object" (see Section 8.1), assigned a
      value of 0x84 from the "RPL Control Codes" space [to be removed
      upon publication:
      http://www.iana.org/assignments/rpl/rpl.xml#control-codes]
      [RFC6550].

   o  "Secure Discovery Reply Object Acknowledgement" (see Section 10),
      assigned a value of 0x85 from the "RPL Control Codes" space [to be
      removed upon publication:
      http://www.iana.org/assignments/rpl/rpl.xml#control-codes]
      [RFC6550].

   +------+--------------------------------------------+---------------+
   | Code |                 Description                |   Reference   |
   +------+--------------------------------------------+---------------+
   | 0x04 |           Discovery Reply Object           | This document |
   | 0x05 |   Discovery Reply Object Acknowledgement   | This document |
   | 0x84 |        Secure Discovery Reply Object       | This document |
   | 0x85 |        Secure Discovery Reply Object       | This document |
   |      |               Acknowledgement              |               |
   +------+--------------------------------------------+---------------+

                             RPL Control Codes

14.4.  New Registry for Upper Layer Headers inside Data Option

   The Data Option (see Section 7.2) defines a 4-bit "Upper" field, for
   which IANA is requested to create and maintain a new registry titled
   "Upper Layer Header Type Inside RPL Data Option".  New codes may be
   allocated in this registry only by an IETF Review [RFC5226].  Each
   code is tracked with the following characteristics:

   o  Value

   o  Description

   o  Reference

   The following codes are currently defined:

                 |  Value  | Description |   Reference   |
                 |   0x0   |  UDP Header | This document |
                 | 0x1-0xE |  Unassigned |               |
                 |   0xF   | Private Use | This document |

              Upper Layer Header Types Inside RPL Data Option