Re:[External] Request for information - Challenges in routing related to semantic addressing

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Tue, 02 March 2021 12:57 UTC

Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2021 13:57:40 +0100
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: Tony Li <tony.li@tony.li>
Cc: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, "King, Daniel" <d.king@lancaster.ac.uk>, Adrian Farrel <adrian@olddog.co.uk>, "draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing@ietf.org" <draft-king-irtf-challenges-in-routing@ietf.org>, "routing-discussion@ietf.org" <routing-discussion@ietf.org>
Subject: Re:[External] Request for information - Challenges in routing related to semantic addressing

Thanks, Tony, *:

You meantion locator and identifiers as unresolved. Do you think this should be subject to
more work in IETF and/or IRTF (routing) ? If so, how ?

You mention architecture fundamentals and routing / addressing ties. Do you think there
such fundamentals that would transcend what i would call different "address semantics",
e.g.: unicast, multicast, ICN ? I am asking because if there where such fundamenals of
interest, maybe working on them would ease the ability to operate multiple semantics,
add and/or extend them.

You mention protocol field / address overload. I completely agree, but why then have we
not attempted to work to easier extend instead of overload packet header / addresses ?
E.g.: I look at TSVWG L4S carving out even more semantic out of 2 ECN bits and grumble
about printing a t-shirt "40 years of IP and all we have for QoS is still 8 bit".
(alas, corona times are no fun for t-shirt junkies).

Personally, i wish we would never ned to overload semantics of addresses, because we are a) not
wasting address space (as you point out) and can b) amend adress space, when needed for new semantics.
Now: Why do we not amend our protocols to allow for that ?

Cheers
    Toerless

--
---