RE: routing area design team on dataplane encapsulation considerations

"Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Wed, 17 December 2014 20:19 UTC

From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: "Andrew G. Malis" <agmalis@gmail.com>, Alia Atlas <akatlas@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: routing area design team on dataplane encapsulation considerations
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 20:19:42 +0000
x-originating-ip: [130.247.104.6]
Cc: "routing-discussion@ietf.org" <routing-discussion@ietf.org>

Hi Andy,

You mentioned packet size and fragmentation wrt RFC4623, and I just wanted
to note that the idea of tunnel fragmentation goes back even earlier than that
to Section 3.1.7 of RFC2764 which I see that you are also co-author on. I have
cited this in some of my earlier works.

AERO is also using tunnel fragmentation in pretty much the same way, except
that AERO has a comprehensive specification for when to fragment, when not
to fragment, how to test if fragmentation is necessary, and what packet size
ranges are candidates for fragmentation. So, in addition to your earlier works
I hope the design team will have a look at the packet size and fragmentation
aspects of AERO.

Thanks – Fred
fred.l.templin@boeing.com