Re: Status of Requirements for IP Routers RFC

Noel Chiappa <jnc@ginger.lcs.mit.edu> Tue, 26 April 1994 13:27 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 09:04:03 -0400
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Noel Chiappa <jnc@ginger.lcs.mit.edu>
To: mandrews@alias.com, tli@cisco.com
Subject: Re: Status of Requirements for IP Routers RFC
Cc: ietf-rreq@jessica.stanford.edu, jnc@ginger.lcs.mit.edu

    do we have any idea when a version of IPng is going to emerge? I'm
    silently wondering if by the time we get a new routers RFC out of drafts
    and into the standards track, how soon until it is obsolete like RFC 1009?

Well, given that that a new version of the document should be out as an I-D in
about 9 months, since there is a lot of good text there already, I think it's
worth the effort. I figure even *if* we make an IPng decision Real Soon, it
won't start to be deployed widely for 3 years, and a lot of boxes are going to
be sold in the interim. I doubt the premise, too...

	Noel