Re: ftp://ftp.cisco.com/fred/rreq-03.txt

bmanning@isi.edu Wed, 04 January 1995 19:09 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: bmanning@isi.edu
Posted-Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 10:34:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: ftp://ftp.cisco.com/fred/rreq-03.txt
To: barns@cove.mitre.org
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 1995 10:34:29 -0800
Cc: louie@alter.net, rreq@isi.edu

> > I think that the transition issue is just so much smoke and mirrors.
>
> word.  I thought the real transition issue was of allowing manager x to
>
>    1) bilingual routers during manager transition
>    2) bilingual managers during router transition
>    3) bilingual everything for some long period of time, then reconsider
>    4) maybe some managers can't see some routers during transition
>
> I thought #4 was deemed a bad thing but if people think it's OK, then
> you're completely right.
>
> > I suspect that the new RREQ RFC will achive "standard" status after
> > the SNMPv2 RFC does, right?
>
> Hadn't thought about that.  I can't figure out whether RFC 1602 mandates
> 6 month and 4 month delays for advancement of RREQ (in the event that it
> only references full standards, that is).  Good point.

With the NM-AD giving some "hints", I expect that the prudent thing to
do is to drop references to SNMPv2 in the current RREQ doc and let it stand
as is.  A snapshot of requirements for IPv4 routers in 1994.

Future generations can work transition issues.

--
--bill