Re: ftp://ftp.cisco.com/fred/rreq-03.txt

David Waitzman <djw@bbn.com> Wed, 04 January 1995 17:22 UTC

To: rreq@isi.edu
Subject: Re: ftp://ftp.cisco.com/fred/rreq-03.txt
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 1995 11:50:38 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: David Waitzman <djw@bbn.com>

> Why don't we just remove every reference to SNMPv2 in RREQ?
>
> When SNMPv2 proves itself, I'm sure that it will be time to issue an
> update to RREQ.  At that time, we can have this discussion...

If Marshall (as the NM Area Chair) is agreeing for us to wait on v2
then I agree to wait on a MUST SNMPv2.  I suggest therefore:

    You MAY implement SNMPv2.  You MUST continue to implement SNMPv1 at
    that point (e.g. be an SNMPv2 "bilingual agent"), and in this case,
    allow SNMPv2 to be disabled via a configuration option.  If SNMPv2
    and SNMPv1 are enabled then the default MUST be to disallow use of
    SNMPv1 to compromise any stricter security constraints imposed by
    SNMPv2.

-david