Re: ftp://ftp.cisco.com/fred/rreq-03.txt

Frank Kastenholz <kasten@ftp.com> Wed, 04 January 1995 13:41 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Jan 1995 08:23:09 -0500
To: kre@munnari.oz.au
Subject: Re: ftp://ftp.cisco.com/fred/rreq-03.txt
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Frank Kastenholz <kasten@ftp.com>
Cc: bmanning@isi.edu, fred@cisco.com, rreq@isi.edu

 >     > >        - DNS resolver          - Add as comments to documentation
 >
 >     "A router MAY implement DNS resolver code as an aid to management."
 >
 > This would be pretty silly, ther only reason its worth sticking
 > in MAY type stuff at all is when there is a prohibition on
 > something, and a specific exception needs to be made, and just
 > occasionally when there appears to be some kind of misplaced
 > world view that something is inappropriate, and that needs to
 > be corrected.

or when a function may be implemented, but if it is implemented, it
must be done in a certain way for proper operation. in addition, we
might wish to use r.r. to reinforce the necessary requirements of
that function. repetition is the key to learning. repetition is the
key to learning.  a dns resolver falls into both categories.

--
Frank Kastenholz    "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy
                     present... As our case is new, so we must think anew, and