Re: ftp://ftp.cisco.com/fred/rreq-03.txt

Frank Kastenholz <kasten@ftp.com> Wed, 04 January 1995 13:41 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Jan 1995 08:23:10 -0500
To: djw@bbn.com
Subject: Re: ftp://ftp.cisco.com/fred/rreq-03.txt
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Frank Kastenholz <kasten@ftp.com>
Cc: rreq@isi.edu

 > Given these, I suggest
 > that mentioning SNMPv2 is reasonable, but conditionally, as in:
 >
 >     "When SNMPv2 reaches Full Standard, you MUST implement it.  You MAY
 >     continue to implement SNMPv1 at that point, but you MUST not allow
 >     use of SNMPv1 to compromise the security constraints imposed by
 >     SNMPv2".

i do not believe that it is appropriate to make a requirement
'temporally conditional' in this manner. at this point in time,
either v2 is ready to be required in r.r. or it is not. if it is
ready and if we think it is the right thing to do then we should
mandate it. if it is not ready then it is not ready and we should
wait for it to be ready.

--
Frank Kastenholz    "The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy
                     present... As our case is new, so we must think anew, and