Re: [rrg] draft-narten-radir-problem-statement-05.txt

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Thu, 18 February 2010 01:14 UTC

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 20:16:05 -0500
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>
Cc: rrg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [rrg] draft-narten-radir-problem-statement-05.txt

Thomas, one major and some minor comments on the document.

The discussion of IPv6 routing table size in section 4.6 seems
misleading.  The discussion seems to have no component to represent the
present and increasing demand for PI addresses in order to support
multi-homing and ease of renumbering.  If we do not have a routing
architecture and system which addresses those pressures, and if we do
not manage to keep in place an artificial barrier to such PI
assignments, the size of the tables will grow dramatically.  Some
stimates place the expected number of multiohomed enterprises in the
ballpark of 10,000,000.  That would represent a significant growth in
the control plane, the RIB, and the FIB.

Section 3.3 is titled "Alignment of Incentives".  It then begins with a
partial description of the pressures that Multihoming and Traffic
Engineering put on the system.
It would seem that the document would be clearer if there were a section
describing the need to support multihoming and traffic engineering in
general (leaving the details for section 4 probably), and the fact that
these tend to produce growth in all the dimensions cited earlier.  That
could then be followed by section 3.3 with something similar to the
current second paragraph, which is actually about the Alignment of
Incentives.
It would then seem sensible to include a paragraph about the need for
any mechanisms for improvement to have to property that the costs and
incentives for deploying the improvement are aligned.  (This appears in
the summary in section 6, but needs to be explicitly stated earlier in
the document.)

Would it make sense to include in section 4.3 (End Site Renumbering) to
observation that this problem has also driven some NAT deployments?
(No, that is not a route scaling problem, but it reminds the reader of
an indirect cost of not solving these problems in an effective fashion.)

Should we at least acknowledge in section 5 that our habit of addressing
any and all problems with BGP extensions puts pressure on the control
plane?  (It may be that this component is manageable, but I wonder.)
Each of these features have been put in for very good reasons, but RFC
2547 VPNs, Flow-Routes for black-holing DDOS, and add-path routes to
allow use of multiple parallel routes, are all examples of features wew
have or are putting in the system that increase the pressure on the
Control Plane.  [Note, I am not saying that these are wrong choices.
They may well be correct choices, and BGP may well be the right place to
address these needs.  But we should recognize that this puts pressure on
the system.]

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern