Re: [RSN] Sleepy routers

Kris Pister <pister@eecs.berkeley.edu> Fri, 07 December 2007 19:25 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 11:24:39 -0800
From: Kris Pister <pister@eecs.berkeley.edu>
To: Ian Chakeres <ian.chakeres@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RSN] Sleepy routers
Cc: rsn@ietf.org

I don't know if we need to address it directly, but I think that one of
the really interesting questions is how to route over (one or more) L2s
that have at least three orders of magnitude *configurable* tradeoff
between two parameters of interest: data rate and lifetime.
There are WSN protocols in use today which can be configured to operate
anywhere from 100% duty cycle down to well under 0.1%, on a link-by-link
basis.
The simplest approach is to route with what is currently configured, and
push the responsibility for configuration changes elsewhere.  Perhaps
there are existing protocols that do this?  It seems like some of the
existing traffic engineering work might be relevant.
For example, I may know due to ND that I can talk directly to the final
destination, but currently have no bandwidth configured (or not already
spoken for) to do so.  Where does the tradeoff between QoS, user
preferences for node lifetime, routing, and L2 duty cycle configuration
happen?

I don't know how much, if any, of this fits in the scope of RoLL.  In
any case, it is interesting to study.

ksjp